I love soup. It’s kind of an obsession. Black bean soup is one of my favorites. Usually, I like to make it from dried beans, but honestly? That takes forever. And time is something I usually lack.
This recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes. There are two tricks. Number one: canned beans – which are perfectly delicious and convenient. Number two: I chopped the vegetables super small. Teensy. Wee. Miniature. You get the picture. If you have a food processor, use it to get your veggies super duper tiny. They’ll cook even faster that way!
Make sure you serve this warming soup with lime wedges for squeezing and all kinds of toppings. It’s only around 135 calories per serving, so you can doll it up a bit. Or a lot. Either way, I promise it’s delicious!
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 large cloves garlic, roughly chopped
3/4 cup diced carrots (about 2 med carrots)
3/4 cup diced celery (about 2 ribs)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 poblano pepper, seeded & chopped
2 cans low sodium black beans, drained
2 cans low-sodium beef broth (you could easily sub vegetable broth to make this vegetarian/vegan)
1 t kosher salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon dry oregano leaves
1 bay leaf
Step by step
- Place a large stock pot on the stove-top and set to medium-high heat.
- When pan is warm, add olive oil.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, poblano and garlic and saute 4-5 minutes.Make sure you've chopped your vegetables as small as possible - the smaller you chop, the faster this comes together!
- Add in the black beans and broth.
- Stir to combine and then add the seasonings.
- Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until desired consistency. You could also use a traditional blender - work in small batches so you don't have a soup-splosion.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, low fat sour cream, baked tortilla chips, chopped avocado and lime wedges for squeezing.
WW PP 3; Calories 136 Total Fat 0.6g Saturated Fat 0.1g; Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 533mg; Potassium 436mg Total Carbohydrate 24g Dietary Fiber 8.6g Sugars 0.9g Protein 9.7g
Copyright Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans LLC
Adapted from Our Best Bites.
About heather: Thirty-three year old wife, mother, runner and wannabe renaissance woman striving to look and feel even BETTER than she did before babies. View author profile.