I love soup. It’s kind of an obsession. The zesty black bean soup recipe is one of my favorites. Usually, I like to make it from dried beans, but honestly? That takes forever. And time is something I usually lack but the recipe solved my problem- let alone the taste for a second. Other than winters, the soup works great for every momentarily craving. If you’re looking for a way to put those carrots in your fridge to good use, then this recipe is the one!
Not only it’ll be delicious but the onion and garlic cloves will add to its healthy and light touch it gives. For it’s pungent taste, black pepper and chilli powder is a must. Introduce dry oregano leaves for a divine touch. Once ready, sprinkle some dry, chopped cilantro on the top. Not only does it make the soup look attractive but its taste is great too. So that’s a plus!
This zesty black bean soup recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes. There are two tricks.
Number one: canned beans – which are perfectly delicious and convenient.
Number two: I chopped the vegetables super small. Teensy. Wee. Miniature. You get the picture. If you have a food processor, use it to get your veggies super duper tiny. They’ll cook even faster that way! Remember to puree the soup in a blender until you achieve the desired consistency.
What to serve with black bean soup? Make sure you serve this warming vegetarian black bean soup recipe with lime wedges for squeezing and all kinds of toppings and enjoy your thick yet finger-licking good soup. It’s only around 135 calories per serving, so you can doll it up a bit. Or a lot. Either way, I promise it’s delicious and you don’t need to worry about it being unhealthy or heavy too!Print
Zesty Black Bean Soup
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
This zesty black bean soup recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes. There are two tricks. One is canned beans – Second is chopped the vegetables super small.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup diced carrots (about 2 med carrots)
- 3/4 cup diced celery (about 2 ribs)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded & chopped
- 2 cans low sodium black beans, drained
- 2 cans low-sodium beef broth (you could easily sub vegetable broth to make this vegetarian/vegan)
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano leaves
- 1 bay leaf
Step by Step
- Place a large stock pot on the stove-top and set to medium-high heat.
- When pan is warm, add olive oil.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, poblano and garlic and saute 4-5 minutes.Make sure you’ve chopped your vegetables as small as possible – the smaller you chop, the faster this comes together!
- Add in the black beans and broth.
- Stir to combine and then add the seasonings.
- Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until desired consistency. You could also use a traditional blender – work in small batches so you don’t have a soup-splosion.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, low fat sour cream, baked tortilla chips, chopped avocado and lime wedges for squeezing.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 136
- Sugar: 0.9g
- Sodium: 533mg
- Fat: 0.6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 8.6g
- Protein: 9.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Leave a Reply