This zesty black bean soup recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes. There are two tricks. One is canned beans – Second is chopped the vegetables super small.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup diced carrots (about 2 med carrots)
- 3/4 cup diced celery (about 2 ribs)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded & chopped
- 2 cans low sodium black beans, drained
- 2 cans low-sodium beef broth (you could easily sub vegetable broth to make this vegetarian/vegan)
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano leaves
- 1 bay leaf
Step by Step
- Place a large stock pot on the stove-top and set to medium-high heat.
- When pan is warm, add olive oil.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, poblano and garlic and saute 4-5 minutes.Make sure you’ve chopped your vegetables as small as possible – the smaller you chop, the faster this comes together!
- Add in the black beans and broth.
- Stir to combine and then add the seasonings.
- Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until desired consistency. You could also use a traditional blender – work in small batches so you don’t have a soup-splosion.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, low fat sour cream, baked tortilla chips, chopped avocado and lime wedges for squeezing.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 136
- Sugar: 0.9g
- Sodium: 533mg
- Fat: 0.6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 8.6g
- Protein: 9.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg