Slow cooked chicken in salsa verde sounds complicated – but honestly, this is probably one of the easiest slow cooker recipes I have in my arsenal.
You can even throw the chicken in the slow cooker FROZEN. Yes, seriously. It really doesn’t get much easier.
Even if you forget to start your slow cooker till the afternoon, you can still enjoy this dish in about four hours – just set the slow cooker to high.
Use your favorite jarred salsa verde – I have used Herdez, Pace and Trader Joe’s brands, all with amazing results. Make a bunch – you’re going to have to fight your family for the leftovers!
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
6 boneless chicken breasts (4 oz each)
1 medium onion sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp pepper
1 Tbs lime juice
1 16 oz jar salsa verde (whatever brand you like, I’ve used Herdez and Trader Joe’s)
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed (I like great northern beans)
1 1/2 cup low fat or fat free sour cream ( you can also sub in plain fat free yogurt)
Step by step
- Place chicken in slow cooker (frozen or thawed, doesn’t matter).
- Mix all other ingredients, except sour cream and beans, and pour over chicken.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred.
- Add sour cream and beans into the sauce, stir well.
- Place chicken back in the slow cooker.
- When beans are warmed through (about ten minutes), dinner's ready!
- Serve with either by itself, kind of like a soup, or over quinoa or brown rice.
WW PP 6; 198 Calories ; Fat 3.6g; Saturated Fat 1.6g; Cholesterol 56.3mg; Sodium 935.3mg; Potassium 197.6mg; Carbs 15.8g; Sugar 3g; Protein 24.1g
Weight Watchers Points Plus are based on chicken and sauce only. Starch not included. Nutrition calculated using low fat sour cream and unrinsed beans - you can lower sodium and calories by draining and rinsing your beans and using fat free sour cream.
Copyright Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans LLC
Category: Main Dish, Poultry, Slow Cooker
About heather: Mid-thirty something wife, mother of two, runner, yogi and wannabe renaissance woman striving to look and feel even BETTER than she did before babies. View author profile.