Gale doesn’t have time to bake his granola squares because he’s off in the forrest with Katniss snaring rabbits. This recipe is perfect for a quick treat before you send your own kids out in the forrest, er backyard, to play!
Easy No-Bake Granola Bars
Everyone loves these, and you will, too! Customize them with your own additional ingredients!
2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
1/4 cup agave nectar (I used amber agave, but you could also use the same amount of honey)
1/4 cup of packed light brown sugar
2 1/2 cups of crispy rice cereal (I use Barbara's Brown Rice Crisp)
1 cup plain granola (I use Back to Nature - green bag)
1/4 cup chocolate chips
Extras: mini-marshmallows, graham cracker crumbs, raisins, dried fruit, nuts, etc.
Step by step
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add agave nectar and brown sugar cooking for about 2 minutes or until well combined. Don't let it get too hot, or cook too long, or your butter will separate and you'll have to scrap it!
- Toss in the rice cereal and granola. Stir completely to coat.
- Remove from heat.
- If you're not using a non-stick muffin tin (I used my Pampered Chef brownie pan, hence the square granola 'bars'), lightly mist each well with oil. You can also use an 8x8 square pan.
- Drop a few (more like 5-6) chocolate chips into the bottom of each muffin well and then evenly distribute the granola mixture.
- Press the granola in very tightly with a rubber spatula, and put the muffin pan in the fridge for about an hour, or until completely cooled.
- Run a knife along the edges of each granola 'bar' and then pop them out and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. I'm not sure on the freezability (because they're never around long enough), but I can imagine it would be okay. If you don't refrigerate them, they become a crumbly, but delicious, mess!
WW PP 3; Calories 98.7; Fat 3.4g; Saturated Fat 1.8g; Monounsaturated Fat 1.0g; Cholesterol 5.2mg; Sodium 22.3mg; Potassium 48.6mg; Total Carbs 22g; Fiber 0.7g; Sugars 14.4g; Protein 1.1g;
Nutritional calculated with chocolate chips, but no other additional 'toppings'.
Feingold Stage 1
Copyright Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans LLC
Category: Breakfast, Snacks
About Christy: Thirty-six year-old wife and mom to BJ (8) and Mia (4). I'm the editor at the Sisterhood, a Feingold mom, I really love to run (really), read, cook amazing things, and photography is my fledging passion. My motivation is motivating other people to realize they can do this whole weight-loss and exercise thing. I'm living proof! View author profile.