Brussels sprouts get such a bad rap. A terrible, terrible rap. Is it in every child’s genes to H-A-T-E Brussels sprouts?
You know why they are so hated? Because most people just steam the little devils and soak them in butter. YACK. Let me tell you how to cook Brussels sprouts. Okay?
(Poor little baby cabbages. They’re so tired of being bullied.)
This recipe will be the recipe that launches a million ships. Or whatever. Everyone will love it.
Sweetly Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
Tell your kids to close their eyes and they'll never know they're eating Brussels sprouts. Shhhhhh ;)
16 ounces of Brussels Sprouts, quartered
1/8 cup sliced shallots
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons toasted walnuts, chopped (or pecans)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Step by step
- Wash and quarter Brussels sprouts (peel off any yucky outside leaves).
- Peel and thinly slice shallot.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Toss in shallots and cook for 1-2 minutes, until tender.
- Add Brussels sprouts and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar to the pan, and cook for 15-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, but not too much because you want them to hold together and get a little caramelized. The longer you cook, the more caramelized they get. Caramelized = OMGood.
- In the last minute, toss in 2 tablespoons of toasted, chopped walnuts (or pecans) and stir.
- Serve. Enjoy. And feel the love for the Brussels sprouts.
WW PP 3, Calories 115, Total Fat 6.0g, Saturated Fat 0.7g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 30mg, Total Carbohydrates 13.6g, Dietary Fiber 4.6g, Sugars 4.7g, Protein 4.9g
Vitamin A 18% • Vitamin C 161%
Calcium 5% • Iron 10%
Feingold Stage 1
Copyright Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans LLC
Enjoy and don’t forget to come back and sing the praises of Brussels sprouts! Tell all your friends, too, okay?
Category: Side Dishes
About Christy: Thirty-six year-old wife and mom to BJ (8) and Mia (4). I'm the editor at the Sisterhood, a Feingold mom, I really love to run (really), read, cook amazing things, and photography is my fledging passion. My motivation is motivating other people to realize they can do this whole weight-loss and exercise thing. I'm living proof! View author profile.