So, you may be wondering what’s so ‘sneaky’ about this taco macaroni?
Should I tell you?
Okay…but don’t tell anyone else, m’kay?
It’s hiding a full cup of butternut squash. And it’s undetectable. Case in point: my son scarfed down two helpings and asked for more. And the ultimate critic, my husband, who won’t touch butternut squash with a ten foot pole. CLEANED. HIS. PLATE. Boo-yah.
I have been making a variation of this recipe for the last year or so, but the original recipe uses full fat milk, more butter, more cheese and ground beef. This lighter version is just as tasty, with tons less fat and calories. It is super satisfying and doesn’t taste light at all.
Serve this up with a big green salad and your family will be begging for this on a regular basis.
(sneaky) Cheesy Taco Macaroni
1/2 pound lean ground turkey
1 cup canned black beans
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes and chiles, with juices
2 cups water
1 cup dry whole wheat or high fiber elbow macaroni
1 packet low sodium taco seasoning
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup butternut squash puree
3/4 cup skim milk
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
Step by step
- In the bigges skillet you've got, brown the turkey over medium high heat.
- Add the black beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning and water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the dry macaroni, stir well and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Set the timer for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over medium high heat in a small, heavy sauce pan.
- Add the flour and whisk together.
- Cook the flour and butter for about a minute.
- Add the milk and whisk briskly to get out any lumps.
- Bring to a low boil and add the butternut puree when the mixture begins to thicken.
- Whisk well to combine, then add the shredded cheese.
- Stir until the cheese is melted, then add seasoning salt and pepper to taste.
- When the macaroni mixture has cooked for 12 minutes, most of the liquid should be absorbed.
- Remove the macaroni mixture from the heat and pour in the cheese mixture.
- Fold to combine.
WW PP 7; Calories 289; Total Fat 9.8g; Saturated Fat 5.2g; Cholesterol 47mg; Sodium 249mg; Total Carbohydrates 30.9g; Dietary Fiber 4.9g; Sugars 14.9g; Protein 19.2g
Copyright Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans LLC
Category: Main Dish, Poultry
About heather: Thirty-three year old wife, mother, runner and wannabe renaissance woman striving to look and feel even BETTER than she did before babies. View author profile.