Have you ever tried chicken tagine? Tagine is a Moroccan dish packed with aromatic spices.
It’s absolutely delicious. And pretty time consuming to prepare…unless you use a slow cooker!
This Slow Cooker Moroccan Apricot Chicken dish is incredible to come home to after a long day- sweet, spicy and warming. Serve it with couscous and a sprinkling of slivered almonds for a weekday trip to Morocco.
Slow Cooker Morroccan Apricot Chicken
1/2 cup dried apricots, cut into fourths
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained
1 medium (1/2 cup) onion, sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon red chili flake
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 1/4 cups 99% fat free chicken broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Step by step
- Place apricots, beans, onion, bell pepper and carrots in slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with vinegar, paprika, curry powder, chili flake, cumin, salt and cinnamon.
- Add chicken to slow cooker.
- Pour 1 cup chicken broth over ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting for 5 to 6 hours, or on High heat setting for 3 to 4 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; keep warm.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup chicken broth and cornstarch in small bowl; stir with wire whisk until well mixed.
- Stir into mixture in slow cooker.
- Return chicken to slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on High heat setting until juice is thickened (20 to 30 minutes).
- Serve chicken mixture with whole wheat couscous, quinoa or brown rice..
WW PP 6; Calories 262 ; Fat 2.3g ; Saturated Fat 0.4g ; Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 911mg; Potassium 673mg; Carbohydrate 33g; Fiber 5.9g ; Sugars 7.2g; Protein 27g
To reduce sodium, use low sodium chicken broth.
Copyright Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans LLC
Category: Main Dish, Poultry, Slow Cooker
About heather: Thirty-three year old wife, mother, runner and wannabe renaissance woman striving to look and feel even BETTER than she did before babies. View author profile.