I love anything in a slow cooker. But sometimes I find traditional slow cooker recipes can be a little bland. A lot of cream of such and such soups. Potatoes. Cheese. Which all have their place, but sometimes, I really want a little more pizazz out of my slow cooker.
Enter balsamic vinegar.
I’m sure most of you are very familiar with balsamic vinegar’s heady, fruity flavor. It’s so funny that ten years ago, it was this new, foreign, fancy condiment. Now it’s absolutely everywhere.
For the longest time, I only used balsamic vinegar in cold recipes – mainly salad dressing. But over the last few years, I’ve discovered how amazing it can be in cooked dishes. The vinegar reduces, losing i’s hard, acidic edge and lending brightness to dishes.
It’s basically the jazz hands of the condiment world.
Get ready to wake up those taste buds!
Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken with Olives
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
1 can tomato sauce (14.5 oz)
1 onion thinly sliced
4- 6 garlic cloves, whole
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 T olive oil
12 pitted kalamata olives
palmful Italian herb mix (thyme, basil, rosemary, oregano)
ground black pepper and salt to taste
Step by step
- Pour the olive oil into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place the chicken breasts into the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top each breast with sliced onion, garlic cloves and Italian herbs.
- Pour in vinegar, tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Cook on high about 4 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts, slice on the bias, and place back in the tomato/vinegar sauce.
- Add olives and let them warm through for about ten minutes.
- Serve over whole wheat spaghetti, polenta or your carb of choice. Sprinkle with grated parmesan or a little crumbled light feta.
Nutritional Info: WW PP 6; 253 calories; 7.9 grams of fat (0.6 saturated); Cholesterol 73.3 mg; Sodium 801 mg; Potassium 326 mg; Total Carbs 12.7 g; Fiber 1.7 g; Sugars 6.5 g; Protein 32.2 g
To lower sodium content, omit olives.
Nutritional info is for chicken only, not accompanying carbs.
Copyright Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans LLC
Category: Main Dish, Poultry, Slow Cooker
About heather: Thirty-three year old wife, mother, runner and wannabe renaissance woman striving to look and feel even BETTER than she did before babies. View author profile.