Yes, you can have homemade potato soup on your table in less time than it takes you to watch an episode of the Bachelorette. With a lot less drama, too. Even if you have a little help in the kitchen.
Make that a lot of help!
Cheesy Potato Soup Ready in 40 Minutes
1 tablespoon of butter
1 cup chopped onion (I food processed to make it undetectable!)
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I used white wheat flour)
3 cups chopped red potatoes (about 1 pound - and I diced them)
1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk (I used skim)
3/4 cup fat-free, lower sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (I used regular sharp cheddar)
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
Step by step
- Chop your potatoes and onions before you start! Makes things go much faster.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion to pan; saute' 5 minutes or until tender.
- Sprinkle with flour; cook 1 minute, stirring onion mixture constantly.
- Add potato, milk, broth, and 1/2 cup of water to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes (I simmered for 15).
- Add cheese and ground red pepper; cook 2 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring frequently.
- Top each serving evenly with 1 1/2 teaspoons of chopped green onions.
- My notes:
- I made this with my 4 year-old daughter. Kids can wash potatoes, help chop with a kid safe knife (I got mine from Pampered Chef), and measure and pour ingredients.
- I doubled the recipe because I knew 4 servings wouldn't be enough!
WW PP 6; Calories 225; Fat 6.9g; Saturated Fat 4.1g; Protein 9.9g; Carb 32.7g; Fiber 2.6g; Cholesterol 21mg; Iron 1.5mg; Sodium 250mg; Calcium 322mg.
This recipe is Feingold Diet friendly, stage 2 and stage 1 if you omit the red pepper. Make sure the broth and cheese are on the food list, and you should be good.
Copyright Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans LLC
It was totally worth having a little extra help!
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light, Jan/Feb 2012.
About Christy: Thirty-six year-old wife and mom to BJ (8) and Mia (4). I'm the editor at the Sisterhood, a Feingold mom, I really love to run (really), read, cook amazing things, and photography is my fledging passion. My motivation is motivating other people to realize they can do this whole weight-loss and exercise thing. I'm living proof! View author profile.