Clearly we’re a little pumpkin obsessed round these parts. But why shouldn’t we be? Pumpkin is so delicious and so healthy. Chock full of vitamin A. It’s most definitely obsession worthy!
Speaking of obsession, this pumpkin bread…oh, this bread. It’s moist. It’s rich. It’s scrumptious! Honey, nuts, pumpkin – perfection! I actually didn’t mix the nuts into the batter because one of my kiddos hates nuts. Instead, I sprinkled them on top so they were easily picked off. The nuts on TOP of the bread were amazing. They got all toasty in the oven and added a nice crisp juxtaposition to the moistness of the bread.
Did I really just write ‘juxtaposition’? All this pumpkiny goodness is going to my head.
The original version of this recipe racks up 320 calories and 17 grams of fat. Our version? A mere 244 calories and 8.6 grams of fat. Awesome, no?
Make yourself a loaf of this yummy pumpkin bread – or maybe two. Store in an airtight container. If it lasts that long…
Honey Walnut Pumpkin Bread
Canola oil cooking spray
1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup wheat germ or oat bran
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1 1/4 cup fresh or canned pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8-inch loaf pan with canola oil cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oat bran or wheat germ, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a second large bowl, combine sugar, applesauce, honey, milk, pumpkin, egg and vanilla.
- Add this mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake until cooked through and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack then remove from pan and set aside to let cool completely.
WW PP 7; Calories 244; Total Fat 8.6g; Saturated Fat 0.7g; Cholesterol 16mg; Sodium 104mg; Total Carbohydrates 37.1g; Dietary Fiber 4.2g; Sugars 19.6g; Protein 6.9g
Copyright Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans LLC
Modified and lightened up from original recipe at wholefoodsmarket.com.
Category: Breads, Breakfast, Desserts, Snacks
About heather: Mid-thirty something wife, mother of two, runner, yogi and wannabe renaissance woman striving to look and feel even BETTER than she did before babies. View author profile.