Some things in life are just better when they are made from scratch. Take this homemade red enchilada sauce for example. After searching for just the sauce with just the right flavor, and without all the extra crap, I came to the conclusion that it would be just as easy to make it from scratch. And it really is.
This homemade red enchilada sauce works wonderfully with your favorite rolled beef, chicken, or cheese enchiladas, as a base for your favorite south-of-the-border soup, in a spicy taco casserole, or any number of recipes that might need a little Tex-Mex flair.
My favorite way to use this wonderful homemade enchilada sauce? Rotisserie chicken enchiladas. I’ll share the recipe with you soon, I promise!
Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce
This recipe is more than generous enough to make an 11 x 13" pan of enchiladas! I typically double the recipe and freeze half in a glass container for another time!
1 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons flour
1 15 ounce cans of tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups lower sodium chicken broth
3/4 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons cumin
Step by step
- In a large sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add chili powder and flour whisking constantly to combine. Mixture will be a thick paste (roux).
- Slowly add in a small amount of tomato sauce whisking until the roux has dissolved. If you don't whisk, it will end up a lumpy mess! Once the roux is combined, add the rest of the tomato sauce and chicken broth. Whisk to combine.
- Add in the rest of the spices, stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use in your enchilada recipe, or cool and divide into containers for storage.
- Can be refrigerated for up to a week, or frozen for 3 months.
For the entire recipe: WW PP 11 • Calories 391 • Fat 21.7g • Saturated Fat 3.5g • Cholesterol 0mg • Sodium 3665mg • Total Carbohydrates 49.2g • Dietary Fiber 13.8g • Sugars 20.7g • Protein 12.0g • Vitamin A 144% • Vitamin C 71% • Calcium 14% • Iron 65%
Copyright Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans LLC
Category: Casseroles, Main Dish
About Christy: Thirty-six year-old wife and mom to BJ (8) and Mia (4). I'm the editor at the Sisterhood, a Feingold mom, I really love to run (really), read, cook amazing things, and photography is my fledging passion. My motivation is motivating other people to realize they can do this whole weight-loss and exercise thing. I'm living proof! View author profile.