We are all about enjoying good food here at Shrinking Kitchen, especially during the holidays; but, good does not have to mean fattening. We have already shared delicious, healthy recipes, and now we are going to let you in on a few secrets to help you keep from popping the buttons off your jeans.
- Most stuffing recipes call for butter, but you can eliminate a lot of the fat and calories by using chicken broth instead.
- Let your gravy cool, this will make the fat rise to the top, then skim off with a butter knife.
- Use part chicken broth in the mashed potatoes instead of all whole milk or cream.
- Spices and herbs! Use plenty to make up for the lower fat content!
- When baking, replace refined sugars with raw honey and replace oils with applesauce and/or plain fat-free Greek yogurt.
- Lower your fat consumption and cholesterol intake by choosing white meat over dark and removing the skin.
What are your favorite tips for making Thanksgiving a bit lighter?