The countdown is on…three days till Christmas. Are you ready?
I’m hosting two holiday meals this year…I’m not quite sure what I was thinking. But with a little planning, I think I can pull it off. Today’s favorite, if you’re wondering? My top five tips for hosting a stress free holiday gathering.
- Choose and make as many make ahead dishes as possible. I’ve got this down to a science. Pretty much everything I make only needs to be heated up just prior to dinner. I make my roll dough a few days in advance and it keeps in the fridge till I need it. Dessert, whatever it is (usually pie or cake), I always have done a day or two before.
- If people offer you help, TAKE IT. I used to try to do everything by myself, and that’s just plain stupid. Allowing others to bring dishes will not only save you time, it’ll save you money.
- Set up a beverage station and let everyone help themselves. There’s no need for you to be serving everyone…you need to enjoy the gathering too! Just take a glance from time to time to make sure everything is well stocked. And by everything, I mean wine. This goes for food too. I highly recommend going buffet or family style. Let everyohne serve themselves.
- A few of you many like to drag out Great Grandma’s china and have a fancy dinner. For me, the way to go is paper plates – the nicer, heavy ones- if I’m entertaining over eight people. The last thing I want to do when everyone leaves is four loads of dishes. Paper, while not the most green option, is easy.
- Relax and allow yourself to sit down and enjoy your meal too – while it’s hot. You know what I’m talking about…you spend the entire meal running around and making sure everyone else is happy – and you neglect yourself.
Now, you tell us…what are your best tips for having a stress free holiday meal? Spill it, in the comment section!