This story is not meant to turn you off to this soup. Cause it’s really super delicious. But here goes:
I make my daugther’s baby food. She’s ten months old and I’m trying desperately to make sure she has an adventurous palate. I decided to try lentils with her a few weeks back and figured I’d introduce them with yam, since she seems to adore yams.
I added a little of this and a little of that, cooked it and pureed it. Then I tasted. I always taste her food because honestly, why would you feed it to a baby if you wouldn’t eat it yourself? Seriously.
And you guys? It was DELICIOUS. So delicious that I ate part of that batch for my lunch that day.
Yes, I dine on baby food. Whatever.
I got to thinking that it would be even MORE delicious with some spice. Curry, to be exact. I’m kind of a curry fiend. It adds a depth to this soup and makes it truly satisfying. For under 100 calories a serving. I KNOW.
Add more or less curry to your liking. Serve with a dollop of greek yogurt and some pita chips. Inhale.
Curried Yam & Red Lentil Soup
1 large yam, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
3 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
Step by step
- In a large heavy saucepan, saute the onion for a few minutes over medium high heat.
- Add carrot, yam, lentils, salt and curry powder, stir well.
- Add broth and water, turn heat to high until the mixture reaches a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes till potatoes and carrots are soft.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, use a traditional blender and work in small batches.
- If the soup is too thick for your liking, slowly add more warmed broth as you blend to reach desired consistency.
WW PP 2; Calories 94; Fat 0.4g ; Saturated Fat 0.1 g ; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 870mg; Potassium 267mg; Carbohydrate 19.3 g; Fiber 4.6g ; Sugars 1.5g; Protein 4g
Copyright Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans LLC
About heather: Thirty-three year old wife, mother, runner and wannabe renaissance woman striving to look and feel even BETTER than she did before babies. View author profile.