Wow. Just wow.
This is my first encounter with cajun spices (I know, I’m sheltered) and seriously, I’ve been missing out. Why didn’t somebody tell me? Sheesh. Holdouts.
This is so, so good. I’m talking lick your plate good. I can barely believe it’s light. But it’s true! It tastes creamy and spicy and totally bad for you…but it’s not.
A few notes:
- Make sure you use the broth/water mixture to boil the pasta. It adds depth of flavor you simply won’t get with plain water.
- The original recipe called for regular half and half, I used fat free. It’s up to you.
- Don’t leave out the flat leaf parsley. Seriously. It’s a nice little fresh kick amidst the spices and cream. I’m pointing this out because I’m just recently a flat leaf parsley convert. I used to leave it out because I thought it was just a garnish. But trust me, it’s not. It’s that little oomph that takes a dish from good to great.
And one last word of advice. Don’t make this while you’re home alone. You might just want to sit and eat the whole pan.
Creamy Cajun Shrimp Linguini
1 cup water
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
6 ounces uncooked linguine
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1 large red bell pepper, cut into (1/4-inch-thick) slices
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt free Cajun seasoning (I found mine in the bulk spices at my local supermarket)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup fat free half-and-half
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Step by step
- Combine 1 cup water and broth in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Break pasta in half; add to pot.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add shrimp to pasta.
- Cover and simmer for 3 minutes or until shrimp are done; drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and red pepper to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until moisture evaporates.
- Add flour, cajun seasoning, and salt to pan; sauté 30 seconds.
- Stir in half-and-half; cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add pasta mixture and parsley to pan; toss together with tongs.
WW PP 8; Calories 329; Total Fat 7.0g; Saturated Fat 2.9g; Trans Fat 0.0g; Cholesterol 265mg; Sodium 673mg; Total Carbohydrates 32.8g; Fiber 1.6g; Sugars 5.4g; Protein 33.3g
Copyright Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans LLC
Adapted from Cooking Light.
Category: Main Dish, Pasta, Seafood
About heather: Thirty-three year old wife, mother, runner and wannabe renaissance woman striving to look and feel even BETTER than she did before babies. View author profile.