I found this recipe on Pinterest (go figure), and just had to find a way to make it lighter. It reminds me of chicken spaghetti. Don’t let the photo fool you! It’s hard to take pictures of things like this, especially at night in a kitchen with HORRIBLE lighting and flash *gasp*. You’ll just have to trust me, m’kay?
Because we follow the a special diet, I had to make some substitutions that you won’t have to make. Feel free to use any ‘cream of’ soups!
Chicken Tetrazzini – Lightened-Up
A delicious comfort food that makes TWO 8x8" casseroles! Eat one tonight and freeze one for later.
1 (16-oz.) package vermicelli
1/2 cup lower-sodium chicken broth
4 cups chopped, cooked chicken breasts
1 (10 3/4-oz.) can Campbell's Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup
1 (10 3/4-oz.) can Campbell's 98% fat freecream of chicken soup
1 (10 3/4-oz.) can Campbell's Healthy Request cream of celery soup (I omitted and used a 2nd can of cream of chicken)
1 (8-oz.) container light sour cream
1 (6-oz.) jar sliced mushrooms, drained (I personally omitted)
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 cups (8 oz.) reduced- fat shredded cheddar cheese
Step by step
- Cook vermicelli according to package directions; drain. Return to pot, and toss with chicken broth.
- Stir together chicken and next 8 ingredients; add vermicelli, and toss well. Spoon mixture into 2 lightly greased 11- x 7-inch (I used 2 8x8s) baking dishes. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- BONUS: I put one casserole in the freezer before cooking. One 8x8 was more than enough to feed my family of 4. Freeze unbaked casserole up to 1 month, if desired. Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature, and bake as directed.
Notes: Nutritional information calculated using the recipe as written, not including my modifications and omissions.
To make Feingold Friendly, I used Amy's Organic Mushroom Soup, 2 cans of Cascadian Farms Organic Cream of chicken (no approved cream of celery), and I also used regular organic cheddar. I made sure that the rest of the ingredients were approved items! Current nutritional information does not apply when modified.
WW PP 8; Calories 305; Total Fat 7.4g; Saturated Fat 3.7g; Cholesterol 40.3mg; Sodium 831.9mg; Potassium 316.7mg; Total Carbohydrates 36.9g; Dietary Fiber 2.2g; Sugars 2.6g; Protein 21.4g;
Copyright Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans LLC
Recipe adapted from MyRecipes.com.
Category: Casseroles, Main Dish, Poultry
About Christy: Thirty-six year-old wife and mom to BJ (8) and Mia (4). I'm the editor at the Sisterhood, a Feingold mom, I really love to run (really), read, cook amazing things, and photography is my fledging passion. My motivation is motivating other people to realize they can do this whole weight-loss and exercise thing. I'm living proof! View author profile.