Blue cheese, nectarine and walnuts flatbread?
Okay, at first glace, this combo sounds odd. But hear me out…fruit. And cheese. Seriously. Fruit and cheese. How wrong can that be?
Believe me, this is so SO right. Sweet nectarines (that are in season and gorgeous right now), creamy and salty blue cheese and crunchy walnuts are perfect together. Melted atop a crispy outside/chewy inside crust and served with a nice crisp glass of white wine, this screams PATIO FOOD! You can serve this dish as an entree, topped with some arugula lightly dressed with lemon juice and olive oil (as pictured). Or, you can easily slice this up in several portions and serve it as an appetizer.
The crust? It’s my go to pizza crust. You only need to use half of the dough you’ll make for this recipe – either wrap up the extra and save it in the fridge for a quick pizza in a couple of days. Just pull it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature for about twenty minutes before attempting to stretch the dough.
Feel free to experiment with this recipe! You can swap goat cheese for the blue cheese, pears for the nectarines. Yum!
Blue Cheese, Nectarine and Walnut Flatbread
For the Crust
1 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 cup water, room temperature
1 3/4 cup all purpose white wheat flour
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
For the Toppings
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 nectarine, thinly sliced
1/8 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 ounces shredded mozzerella cheese
10 walnut halves, roughly chopped
Step by step
To Make the Crust
- Combine the yeast and water in the bowl of a mixer, stir to combine.
- In a different bowl, whisk together flours, sugar and salt.
- With the mixer running, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet.
- Continue to mix for about two minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. If the dough still seems sticky, add a tablespoon of flour.
- Divide the dough in two and form into balls.
- Place dough balls on a lightly floured surface and cover with an oiled piece of plastic wrap, then a clean dish towel.
- Allow to rise for an hour, it should double in size.
- Tightly wrap one ball of dough and throw in the fridge for later - you only need 1/2 of the dough.
To Assemble the Flatbread
- Preheat the oven to 450.
- Lightly oil a half sheet pan.
- Work your dough ball in an oval motion till it stretches enough to fill most of the half sheet pan.
- Place the dough on the pan and throw in the oven and parbake for about four minutes.
- Remove, top with nectarines, blue cheese, walnuts and mozzerella.
- Bake another eight minutes or until cheese is starting to brown.
- Remove and let cool for a few minutes.
- Top with arugula tossed with a little lemon juice and olive oil, if desired. Or just eat as is!
WW PP 7; Calories 287; Total Fat 8.8g; Saturated Fat 3.4g; Cholesterol 13mg; Sodium 575mg; Total Carbohydrates 41.9g; Dietary Fiber 2.3g; Sugars 4.0g; Protein 10.4g
Copyright Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans LLC
Category: Appetizers, Main Dish, Vegetarian
About heather: Mid-thirty something wife, mother of two, runner, yogi and wannabe renaissance woman striving to look and feel even BETTER than she did before babies. View author profile.