I know, I know. Here I go with the quinoa again. But I’m not alone in my obsession. Quinoa is the new ‘it’ grain.
(I completely made that up right there).
This take on quinoa is double awesome because it’s in a casserole and that casserole is jam packed with all kinds of healthy goodness – not only the quinoa, but also shredded sweet potato with tons of vitamin A and lots of filling and fiber rich beans.
Serve this up for Meatless Monday with a big green salad.
Beany & Cheesy Quinoa Bake
1 cup dry quinoa
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 sweet potato, grated (about 2 cups)
1 can Rotel, with juices
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon cumin
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cook the quinoa according to instructions (I used 2 1/2 cups water to 1 cup quinoa, brought it to a boil, then simmered it till all the water was absorbed).
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, beans and sweet potato.
- In another bowl, combine Rotel, half the cheese, cumin and eggs. Mix well.
- Combine the quinoa mixture with the Rotel mixture.
- Dump into a casserole dish. You don't want the casserole too thick, so go for a larger dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and crank the oven to broil. Broil for five more minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Slice and enjoy with light sour cream, some salsa and chopped cilantro!
WW PP 6; Calories 250; Total Fat 6.8g; Saturated Fat 2.7g; Trans Fat 0.0g; Cholesterol 52mg; Sodium 466mg; Total Carbohydrates 36.1g; Fiber 7.7g; Sugars 3.3g; Protein 13.8g
Copyright Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans LLC
Lovingly adapted from A Full Measure of Happiness
Category: Casseroles, Main Dish, Vegetarian
About heather: Thirty-three year old wife, mother, runner and wannabe renaissance woman striving to look and feel even BETTER than she did before babies. View author profile.